Please share your experiences working with these journals! Feel free to add other journals to the list. Try to stick with this format: each journal should be separated by dashes, and responses under each journal should each have their own bullet.
Back to Literary Studies Journals
Australian Journal of French StudiesEdit
Contemporary French and Francophone StudiesEdit
- Good when the guest editor of issue is rigorous about submission. Do your homework on this one.
French Cultural StudiesEdit
- Excellent, quick-turn around, peer-review is fair and detailed.
- As of Fall 2016, a wait of about 9-12 months from submission to response.
- About a month and a half from submission to an acceptance with revisions to address reviewers' comments. Backlog of articles means 1 year+ from acceptance to publication
French Historical StudiesEdit
- Does anyone know how strict they are about AATF membership? It says you need to be a member just to submit but it seems expensive to submit something just for it to be rejected.
- Very fast response (less than two weeks) with general, but still helpful comments
- Generally good feedback. but be aware of wider more generalist audience. Less scholarly in scope but guaranteed wider readership.
French Studies (Oxford UP)Edit
- Is anyone able to share recent information/experience regarding time from submission to decision?
- I submitted an article here in June 2015-heard back in 4 weeks with one reader's report and a conditional acceptance. Made revisions and heard back again in 4 weeks, the essay appeared in print in January 2016. A very rapid and helpful experience.
- I had an excellent experience with this journal. I submitted my article to French Studies at the end of June. Heard back mid-September. The reviews were very helpful and extremely professional/respectful. I just submitted revisions in March, received a conditional response June 1. Submitted revisions July 1 and my article was accepted 2 days later. The editors were responsive and professional, etc. I couldn't have asked for a better experience.
- I submitted an article in mid December 2017. Still waiting to hear back though it's only been 1 month
International Journal of Francophone StudiesEdit
- Incredibly fast and positive review by the editor and reviewers.
- Peer-review process here is waning. A lot of articles being published that should not have or needed substantial revision. Proceed with caution.
- Also they make you pay for copy-editing of your article!
Modern & Contemporary FranceEdit
Nineteenth-Century French StudiesEdit
- Lightning fast initial review (1 week or so) for a decisive rejection. The blind reviewer's comments were, however, quite helpful, and the piece was published elsewhere in about a year's time.
- Rejected a year after the initial submission. However, the 3 reviews were quite helpful.
- Helpful comments from reviewers, even though the article was rejected after about six months.
Studies in French CinemaEdit
- Also posted at Film Journals
- New team of editors looks great. British journal, quick turn-around.
Women in French Studies (WIF Studies)Edit
- Got a revise and resubmit after 3 months. Comments were extremely professional and constructive. I agreed with their assessment of the weaknesses of the article. Majorly revised it to address all the comments, and it was accepted 2 months later.
Yale French StudiesEdit
- Does not accept unsolicited articles.